Our eyes and ears.

 

Keep vulnerable Oregonians safe by becoming a volunteer Monitor.

Volunteer Case Monitors are at the heart of our mission to keep vulner­able Oregonians safe and thriving.

Case monitoring provides a method of alerting the court when there is suspicion or evidence of possible abuse, neglect, or exploitation of an adult protected person. A secondary goal is to provide additional sup­port, education, and resources to guardians and/or the adult protected person.

Why Monitoring?

Guardians are appointed by the court to make decisions on behalf of people who are unable to make those decisions for themselves.

Most guardians are caring and responsible individuals. Unfortunately, that is not always the case.

Before Guardian Partners, oversight of guardianship cases in Oregon was almost non-existent, leaving the court unaware of the well-being or resource needs of adults under guardianship.

To address this, trained volunteer Monitors provide thorough, limited oversight by evaluating cases of adults with cognitive impairments. We interview guardians, consult with collateral professionals, and visit with the protected person.

Acting as the eyes and ears of the court, Monitors report on the quality of the guardianship, assure the values and dignity of the protected individual, share needed resources, and make recommendations via a report for the court.

In 76% of cases, the guardianship is stable, affirming the guardian's good work. For the remaining 24%, intervention may be recommended, ranging from a change in guardianship, restoration of rights for the protected person, to identifying abusive or neglectful situations.

Volunteer with Us

We have successful volunteers from all backgrounds!

Our Monitors are compassionate adults dedicated to investigating, interviewing, and advocating for the dignity and rights of our most vulnerable adults.

GP-Volunteer-with-Us

Ideal Candidates

Ideal candidates will have excellent professional communication skills with a passion for investigating resources and conducting thorough reviews. Appointed by the court, prompt and objective interviewing with sensitivity to diverse populations are essential in supporting our vulnerable populations. Volunteers are provided thorough training and ongoing staff support. We appreciate volunteers residing in the communities we serve, and those willing to travel.

 

This unique opportunity offers an enormous impact.

Reach out to staff@guardian-partners.org to learn more.

Volunteer Requirements

  • No conviction of abuse, neglect, or exploitation of a person.
  • No current or past founded incident of abuse, neglect, or exploitation of a person.
  • Must have present ability to understand and conform to ethical obligations of confidentiality, objective reporting, and non-discrimination.
  • Must have present ability to personally visit the residence of Protected Persons.
  • No personal interest in a case or any financial interest in the proceeding.
  • People of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, and senior citizens are especially encouraged to apply. We strive for a volunteer group which reflects the community we serve.
  • Must be age 18 or over.

Existing Volunteers Resource Hub

Scroll to Top